Thursday, December 26, 2013

Do you think it’s a bad idea to go to a non-Christian college to study Psychology?



I received this letter from a former student: 

Thanks for having this class, it answered a lot of questions I had. I am really thinking about going to college for psychology and this class gave me a good head start. Is there any advice you could give me and do you think it’s a bad idea to go to a non-Christian college to study Psychology?

Here is my response:

I'm copying your mom this email since I'm dishing out personal advice.

Regarding preparing to study Psychology, I advise you to study Thomas Aquinas, C. S. Lewis, Soren Kierkegaard, Frances Schaeffer, and other great Christian writers whose writings dealt with the Nature of Man. Psychology is an easy subject, so most students know more about it than they do their own worldview. Seriously, Psychology is easy, so spend your time becoming a 1st rate Christian apologist.

With respect to attending a non-Christian college to study Psychology, I'm reminded of all the people who've written me and started their letter by saying, "I went to a Christian college, but...." I think you are better off going to a secular school with your guard up and armor on than going to a Christian school thinking you're safe.  That said, I guess the best option is going to a Christian school with your guard up and armor on.

No comments:

Post a Comment